Stage-specific proteophosphoglycan from Leishmania mexicana amastigotes - Structural characterization of novel mono-, di-, and triphosphorylated phosphodiester-linked oligosaccharides
Publication Year 1998-05-29, Volume 273, Issue #22, Page 13509-13523
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY
- Publication Type
- Journal Article
- Intracellular amastigotes of the protozoan parasite Leishmania mexicana secrete a macromolecular proteophosphoglycan (aPPG) into the phagolysosome of their host cell, the mammalian macrophage. The structures of aPPG glycans were analyzed by a combination of high pH anion exchange high pressure liquid chromatography, gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, enzymatic digestions, electrospray-mass spectrometry as well as H-1 and P-31 NMR spectroscopy. Some glycans are identical to oligosaccharides known from Leishmania mexicana promastigote lipophosphoglycan and secreted acid phosphatase, However, the majority of the aPPG glycans represent amastigote stage-specific and novel structures. These include neutral glycans ([Glc beta(1-3)](1-2)Gal beta 1-4Man, Gal beta 1-3Gal beta 1-4Man, Gal beta 1-3Glc beta 1-3Gal beta 1-4Man), several monophosphorylated glycans containing the conserved phosphodisaccharide backbone (R-3-[PO4-6-Gal]beta 1-4Man) but carrying stage-specific modifications (R = Gal beta 1-, [Glc beta 1-3](1-2)Glc beta 1-), and monophosphorylated aPPG tri- and tetrasaccharides that are uniquely phosphorylated on the terminal hexose (PO4-6-Glc beta 1-3Gal beta 1-4Man, PO4-6-Glc beta 1-3Glc beta 1-3Gal beta 1-4Man, PO4-6-Gal beta 1-3Glc beta 1-3Gal beta 1-4Man), In addition aPPG contains highly unusual di- and triphosphorylated glycans whose major species are PO4-6-Glc beta 1-3Glc beta 1-3[PO4-6-Gal]beta 1-4Man, PO4-6-Gal beta 1-3Glc beta 1-3 [PO4-6-Gal]beta 1-4Man, PO4-6-GaL beta 1-3Glc beta 1-3Glc beta 1-3[PO4-6-Gal]beta 1-4Man, PO4-6-Glc beta 1-3[PO4-6-Glc]beta 1-3[PO4-6-Gal]beta 1-4Man, PO4-6Gal beta 1-3[PO4-6-Glc]beta 1-3Glc beta 1-3[PO4-6-Gal]beta 1-4Man, and PO4-6-Glc beta 1-3[PO4-6-Glc]beta 1-3Glc beta 1-3[PO4-6-Gal]beta 1-4Man. These glycans are linked together by the conserved phosphodiester R-Man alpha 1-PO4-6-Gal-R or the novel phosphodiester R-Man alpha 1-PO4-6-Glc-R and are connected to Ser(P) of the protein backbone most likely via the linkage R-Man alpha 1-PO4-Ser. The variety of stage-specific glycan structures in Leishmania mexicana aPPG suggests the presence of developmentally regulated amastigote glycosyltransferases which may be potential anti-parasite drug targets.
- AMER SOC BIOCHEMISTRY MOLECULAR BIOLOGY INC
- SECRETED ACID-PHOSPHATASE; PROTEIN-KINASE-C; GLYCOSYLATED PHOSPHATIDYLINOSITOLS; SURFACE LIPOPHOSPHOGLYCAN; MONOCLONAL-ANTIBODIES; MAJOR PROMASTIGOTES; DONOVANI; BIOSYNTHESIS; EXPRESSION; PURIFICATION
- Publisher's Version
- Rights Notice
- Refer to copyright notice on published article.
Creation Date: 1998-05-29 12:00:00Last Modified: 0001-01-01 12:00:00