Antibody responses initiated by Clec9A-bearing dendritic cells in normal and Batf3(-/-) mice
- Caminschi, I; Vremec, D; Ahmet, F; Lahoud, MH; Villadangos, JA; Murphy, KM; Heath, WR; Shortman, K;
Publication Year 2012-02, Volume 50, Issue #1-2, Page 9-17
- Journal Title
- MOLECULAR IMMUNOLOGY
- Publication Type
- Journal Article
- Injection of antigens coupled to antibodies against the dendritic cell (DC) surface molecule Clec9A has been shown to produce strongly enhanced antibody responses even without co-administration of adjuvants, via antigen presentation by DC on MHC class II and consequent production of follicular helper T cells. A series of mutant mice were tested to determine the DC subtypes responsible for this MHC II presentation of targeted antigen, compared to presentation of antigen on MHC I. A new clec9A null mouse was developed; these mice did not give enhanced antibody production, confirming the response was dependent on Clec9A-expressing DC. However targeting of antigen to Clec9A in batf3 null mice produced enhanced antibody responses despite the marked reduction in CD8(+) DC, the major Clec9A-expressing DC subtype. This was shown to be dependent on efficient MHC II presentation by minor Clec9A-expressing DC subtypes in the environment of the Batf3(-/-) mice, namely early cells of the CD8 DC lineage and the plasmacytoid-related CD8(+) DC subset, but not by plasmacytoid cells themselves. However in normal mice most MHC II presentation of the Clec9A-targeted antigen was by the major CD8(+) DC population, the DC also responsible for presentation on MHC I. (c) 2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- C-TYPE LECTIN; ANTIGEN CROSS-PRESENTATION; IN-VIVO; T-CELLS; CD8(+); SUBSET; EXPRESSION; RECEPTOR; SPLEEN; CLEC9A
- WEHI Research Division(s)
- Publisher's Version
- Rights Notice
- Copyright © 2013 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved. ScienceDirect® is a registered trademark of Elsevier B.V.
Creation Date: 2012-02-01 12:00:00Last Modified: 0001-01-01 12:00:00