CNspector: a web-based tool for visualisation and clinical diagnosis of copy number variation from next generation sequencing
- Markham, JF; Yerneni, S; Ryland, GL; Leong, HS; Fellowes, A; Thompson, ER; De Silva, W; Kumar, A; Lupat, R; Li, J; Ellul, J; Fox, S; Dickinson, M; Papenfuss, AT; Blombery, P;
Publication Year 2019-04-23, Volume 9, Issue #1, Page 6426
- Journal Title
- Scientific Reports
- Publication Type
- Journal Article
- Next Generation Sequencing is now routinely used in the practice of diagnostic pathology to detect clinically relevant somatic and germline sequence variations in patient samples. However, clinical assessment of copy number variations (CNVs) and large-scale structural variations (SVs) is still challenging. While tools exist to estimate both, their results are typically presented separately in tables or static plots which can be difficult to read and are unable to show the context needed for clinical interpretation and reporting. We have addressed this problem with CNspector, a multi-scale interactive browser that shows CNVs in the context of other relevant genomic features to enable fast and effective clinical reporting. We illustrate the utility of CNspector at different genomic scales across a variety of sample types in a range of case studies. We show how CNspector can be used for diagnosis and reporting of exon-level deletions, focal gene-level amplifications, chromosome and chromosome arm level amplifications/deletions and in complex genomic rearrangements. CNspector is a web-based clinical variant browser tailored to the clinical application of next generation sequencing for CNV assessment. We have demonstrated the utility of this interactive software in typical applications across a range of tissue types and disease contexts encountered in the context of diagnostic pathology. CNspector is written in R and the source code is available for download under the GPL3 Licence from https://github.com/PapenfussLab/CNspector . A server running CNspector loaded with the figures from this paper can be accessed at https://shiny.wehi.edu.au/jmarkham/CNspector/index.html .
- Springer Nature
- WEHI Research Division(s)
- PubMed ID
- Publisher's Version
- Open Access at Publisher's Site
- Rights Notice
- Refer to copyright notice on published article.
Creation Date: 2019-04-30 11:47:39Last Modified: 2019-04-30 12:18:03