Serum microRNA is a biomarker for post-operative monitoring in glioma
- Morokoff, A; Jones, J; Nguyen, H; Ma, C; Lasocki, A; Gaillard, F; Bennett, I; Luwor, R; Stylli, S; Paradiso, L; Koldej, R; Paldor, I; Molania, R; Speed, TP; Webb, A; Infusini, G; Li, J; Malpas, C; Kalincik, T; Drummond, K; Siegal, T; Kaye, AH;
- Journal Title
- Journal of Neurooncology
- Publication Type
- Journal epub ahead of print
- PURPOSE: A circulating biomarker has potential to provide more accurate information for glioma progression post treatment, however no such biomarker is currently available. We aimed to discover a microRNA serum biomarker for longitudinal monitoring of glioma patients. METHODS: A prospectively collected cohort of 91 glioma patients and 17 healthy controls underwent pre and post-operative serum miRNA profiling using Nanostring(R). Differentially expressed miRNAs were discovered using a machine learning random forest analysis. Candidate miRNAs were then assessed by droplet digital PCR in 11 patients with multiple follow up samples and compared to tumor volume based on magnetic resonance imaging. RESULTS: A 9-gene miRNA signature was identified that could distinguish between glioma and healthy controls with 99.8% accuracy. Two miRNAs miR-223 and miR-320e, best demonstrated dynamic changes that correlated closely with tumor volume in LGG and GBM respectively. Importantly, miRNA levels did not increase in two cases of pseudo-progression, indicating the potential utility of this test in guiding treatment decisions. CONCLUSIONS: We identified a highly accurate 9-miRNA signature associated with glioma serum. Additionally, we observed dynamic changes in specific miRNAs correlating with tumor volume over long-term follow up. These results support a large prospective validation study of serum miRNA biomarkers in glioma.
- WEHI Research Division(s)
- Bioinformatics; Advanced Technology And Biology
- PubMed ID
- Publisher's Version
- Rights Notice
- Refer to copyright notice on published article.
Creation Date: 2020-10-02 10:28:02Last Modified: 2020-10-02 10:37:05